St Mary's History
St Mary's history can be traced back at least 900 years, although there is a question mark over its origin. The church is believed to have been founded by Harold Godwinson, later the last Saxon King of England. If so, his motives appear more tactical than spiritual; part of his attempt to extend his influence into the territory of the Welsh princes.
There is evidence, however, that there may have been an earlier church on the site, possibly dedicated to St David. The churchyard is almost round, an indication it may have been founded by the Celtic church.
As use of the Welsh language gradually declined, the parish was one of the first in Radnorshire to stop using the Welsh prayer book and bible around 1700.
Later, the village also had two thriving chapels – the Wesleyan built in 1838 and the Baptist opened in 1842. both now private homes. Today Gladestry is a thriving agricultural community, nestled at the tip of the western edge of Hergest Ridge. It is blessed with great walks and enviable landscapes.
In addition to St Mary’s, there is a pub, a primary school, a village hall and several significant early buildings, including; Corner House, Gladestry Court (which has a c.1689 date stone), Stone House (once owned by James Watt), the former White Hart pub (now a private home) and the Court of Gladestry (late 17th c).
St Mary's today is Grade 1 listed and retains several original features despite a restoration in 1910. These include an outstanding pyramidal tower, a 16th C oak roof and a 13th C priests door in the south wall.
We endeavor to maintain the historic building so that all may benefit.
Services are weekly, and in 2013 new work to the fabric was restoring oak chairs and repairing the altar floor.
Join the St Mary's Church Gladestry community
St Mary's Church is a 12th century Grade 1 listed Norman church in the rural Radnorshire village of Gladestry. We endeavour to maintain the historic building so that all may benefit. Services are weekly and in 2013 new work to the fabric was restoring oak chairs and repairing the altar floor.
Contact: Church Warden Jess Procter
Donate to the church: click HERE
Old Postcards. for charity